Halloween Costumes and Personality
Happy Halloween! Halloween is the time we get to dress up as whatever we want,
regardless of who we are; however, our personality has a lot to do with our holiday alias.
We asked several college students in Boston how their costume relates to their personality and then had our psychologists map their responses onto some of the many personality traits that we can measure (look for them in bold!):
- “A police officer because it’s fun to dress up as your childhood dream job, which was being an undercover FBI agent and catch bad guys like my daddy does.” (High Extroversion, Low Agreeableness, High Openness)
- “A hockey groupie/fan because I love hockey.” (High Fitness, High Extraversion)
- “A sexy scientist because that is what I am, of course!” (High Analytical, High Openness)
- “Thing 1 and Thing 2 with a friend, which represents the way my friends are very important to me and the fact that I am unique and weird.” (High Uniqueness, High Openness)
- “An Olympic winner because I loved watching the Olympics this summer.” (High Fitness, High Fashion)
- “The Queen of Hearts because I like to play games and steal hearts.” (High Neuroticism, Low Agreeableness)
- “A sour patch kid because I’m tangy and sweet.” (High Agreeableness)
- “Minnie Mouse because I love Disney and she was my favorite character growing up.” (High Conscientiousness)
- “An Indian; it relates to my personality because they wear colorful clothes and I’m a colorful person! They are free spirited, love the outdoors, and are superstitious. I am all of these. I also like corn on the cob.” (High Openness, High Eco-consciousness, Low Need for Cognition)
- “A cheetah because it embraces my wild side.” (High Openness, High Extroversion)
- “NFL replacement ref so I can make it up as I go along all night and because I mean well but make a lot of mistakes.” (Low Conscientiousness)
- “A princess because I get to be one everyday but on Halloween I get to dress like one!” (Low Agreeableness, High Neuroticism)
- “A ninja because I’m sneaky!” (High Extroversion, High Conscientiousness, High Openness)
- “Where’s Waldo! This reflects my personality because I permanently feel lost and confused. Also, the costume is sexy yet remains conservative to a certain degree - I always try to keep it classy.” (High Fashion, Low Conscientiousness)
- “Big Bird because I am interested in politics and obsessed with NPR, which is one of the programs proposed to be cut by Romney along with PBS.” (High Eco-consciousness, High Local, High Openness).
Does your costume match your personality?
To see what personality traits you have and to learn more about each trait, head to www.tiptap.com